Monday, June 13, 2016

Vasily Polenov

Vasily Polenov (1844-1927) was a Russian painter who was most famous for capturing quintessentially Russian scenes, such as this courtyard of 1878.



Russian landscapes. Top, Early Snow; then Farm, 1877; and Winter Scene, 1878.



But Polenov actually traveled widely and painted all sorts of subjects; it was these scenes of Baalbek and Athens that first drew my attention to him.


And he did some nice portraits. Above, Vasily Schegolenkov, and somebody else.

An old monk. And below, a scene from Polenov's travels that seems very familiar to me, although I can't place it.

1 comment:

G. Verloren said...

Whenever I see paintings and other depictions of typical dwellings and communities of the 19th century and earlier, I always feel an immense wave of relief and gratitude that I live in the 21st century.

Thank goodness (and key figures such as John Snow) for the sanitary movement.