Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mt. Desert Isle: Day 3

Monday was our third exquisite day in a row. When my sister first asked me about coming up to Maine this  month, I thought, well, ok, but it's bound to rain every day. After all, it has rained in Baltimore all summer, and on average Maine is much wetter. But no -- I lucked into a perfect string of days.

In the morning we hiked up Cadillac Mountain by the south ridge trail, which was delightful. Above, a little tarn on top of the mountain.

Lovely little meadow full of cotton tufted grass by the tarn.

Cadillac is the tallest hill on Mt. Desert, 1500 feet, but there is a road to the top. Which bothers me a little, climbing a hill you can drive up, but on the other hand there is a little store at the top that sells the best lime popsicles I ever tasted.

In the afternoon we went to Long Pond and rented kayaks to paddle around. My sister is a huge sea kayaker, but various scheduling conflicts and the like kept us from getting out on salt water this time. But Long Pond was really nice, and once we were a quarter mile from the dock there was nobody else around. We saw three loons, mother, father, and downy brown child, diving all around us.

No comments: