Wednesday, June 22, 2011

More Discoveries in the Oella Woods: the Cabin

Yesterday I was exploring yet another part of the woods behind my house, when I found something about which there is no mystery. This is on the opposite side of the ridge from the foundations I wrote about before, away from the river, overlooking US 40 as it goes down to the bridge.

I found the remains of the cast iron stove first. That started me searching the area, and I found these foundations just 10 feet (3 m) away. These stone piers form a square about 15 feet (4.5 m) on a side. The presence of the stove shows that the building was a small house. There is no chimney, so the house was heated entirely by the stove, and that usually means it was built after 1850. So this was somebody's cabin, some time between the Civil War and 1940 or so.

No comments: