Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fireworks

Catonsville's fireworks were last night, I suppose on the theory that if we made too much noise on his day off, god might get pissed off and smite us. Anyway, they were spectacular. They always are in this age of abundance, vastly better than the shows I watched as a child. I had three children with me. We spread our blanket on an empty patch of grass but were immediately surrounded by a horde of 18-year-olds determined to act out in one night a grand drama of restless, hormone-driven, social angst, trying to form meaningful connections or get laid without siting still for more than 15 seconds or uttering any phrase more profound than "Oh my god!"

My children loved it. Clara was dancing in her seat as the first explosions went off. Ben said, "Please tell me I'm not going to faint!" "Why would you faint?" "Because this is so wonderful!"

No comments: